Election Services - Financial Information Glossary of Terms
There are limits on the amount a candidate may spend on their campaign. The formula is:
- Mayoralty candidates: $7,500 + 85 cents per elector in the City
- Councillor or School Trustee candidates: $5,000 + 85 cents per elector in the Ward
Total Campaign Expenses Subject to the Spending Limit
These are expenses that fall within the spending limit. It is the responsibility of the candidate to determine what is an expense and whether it subject to the spending limit.
Expenses not included in the campaign expense limit
The following is a list of expenses that are not included in the maximum campaign expense limit.
- Audit and accounting fees
- Cost of holding a fund-raising function
- Cost of holding parties and notices of appreciation after the close of voting
- Expenses relating to a recount
- Expenses relating to controverted elections
- Expenses relating to a compliance audit
- Expenses due to a disability and only if the expense is due to being a candidate in the election
The nomination filing fee and interests on loans are no longer excluded from the maximum campaign expense limit.
Total of All Campaign Expenses
The total campaign expenses cover those expenses that fall within the spending limit and those that are exempt from the spending limit. It is the responsibility of the candidate to determine what is an expense and how to record it.
Total Amount of Contributions
The total value of contributions includes donations of monetary and in kind (goods and services).
This is the amount the candidate has at the end of their campaign.
Contribution Rebate Program
The City of Toronto has a rebate program for candidates running for Mayor or Councillor. The information contained in this web site does not reflect if a person applied for a rebate or how much they would receive.
Note: The Contribution Rebate Program is not available to school trustee candidates
Contribution Refunded to Candidate or Spouse
If the candidate has a surplus, he or she may refund any contribution made to the campaign by the candidate or their spouse. The amount refunded cannot exceed the amount of the surplus.
Any surplus left after all deductions must be paid to the clerk.
© City of Toronto 1998-2014