Decisions

 



Licensing and Standards Committee


Meeting No. 11   Contact Dela Ting, Committee Administrator
Meeting Date Thursday, May 19, 2016
  Phone 416-397-4592
Start Time 9:30 AM
  E-mail lsc@toronto.ca
Location Committee Room 1, City Hall
  Chair   Councillor Cesar Palacio  

LS11.1 

ACTION 

Adopted 

 

Ward: All 

Toronto Licensing Tribunal - Chair's 2015 Annual Report
Committee Decision

The Licensing and Standards Committee:

 

1.  Received for information the Chair of the Toronto Licensing Tribunal's 2015 Annual Report as contained in Attachment 1 of the report (May 5, 2016) from the Executive Director, Municipal Licensing and Standards.

Origin
(May 5, 2016) Report from the Executive Director, Municipal Licensing and Standards
Summary

In accordance with the Relationship Framework approved by City Council for the Toronto Licensing Tribunal, the Chair's 2015 Annual Report as contained in Attachment 1 is being transmitted to Licensing and Standards Committee for information.

Background Information
(May 5, 2016) Report from the Executive Director, Municipal Licensing and Standards on Toronto Licensing Tribunal - Chair's 2015 Annual Report
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/bgrd/backgroundfile-92880.pdf)

Attachment 1 - Chair's 2015 Annual Report
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/bgrd/backgroundfile-92947.pdf)


LS11.2 

ACTION 

Deferred 

 

Ward: All 

Chapter 591, Noise - Amendments After Further Consultation
Public Notice Given
Committee Decision

The Licensing and Standards Committee deferred the item until September 21, 2016 with the request that the Executive Director, Municipal Licensing and Standards establish a working group with representatives from the Toronto Noise Coalition, Residents’ Associations, construction and entertainment business associations, BIAs, and other relevant stakeholders, and report back on September 21, 2016.

Origin
(May 5, 2016) Report from the Executive Director, Municipal Licensing and Standards
Summary

Municipal Licensing and Standards (ML&S) reported to Licensing and Standards Committee on proposed amendments to Chapter 591, Noise at its meeting of January 22, 2016.

 

Licensing and Standards Committee referred the report back for additional consultation on the proposed amendments to the Noise By-law. The Committee also requested additional information on the number of staff necessary to adequately enforce the by-law and preliminary research on options to ban or restrict leaf blowers.

 

ML&S staff have engaged further with the public, stakeholders and other divisions. ML&S staff have collected additional comments from over 380 community members in-person and through email, a resident initiated survey which gathered an additional 300 residents' comments and written comments from 18 resident and neighbourhood associations. Staff also consulted with an external acoustical engineer who was retained to provide technical expertise on noise limits and noise measurement. The proposals in this report take into consideration the additional public, stakeholder and technical feedback received.

 

A revised version of the amendments to Chapter 591, Noise is contained in Attachment 1 of this report for Committee and Council consideration.

Background Information
(May 5, 2016) Report and Attachments 1-3 from the Executive Director, Municipal Licensing and Standards on Chapter 591, Noise - Amendments After Further Consultation
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/bgrd/backgroundfile-92915.pdf)

Public Notice - Proposed amendments to Chapter 591, Noise and amendments to Chapter 441, Fees and Charges
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/bgrd/backgroundfile-93018.pdf)

Communications
(April 25, 2016) Letter from Arlena Hebert, President, Lytton Park Residents' Organization, addressed to Councillor Christin Carmichael-Greb, submitted to Licensing and Standards Committee (LS.Main.LS11.2.1)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60433.pdf)

(April 26, 2016) E-mail from Craig Warren and Family (LS.Main.LS11.2.2)
(May 2, 2016) E-mail from Martyn Burke and Laura Morton (LS.Main.LS11.2.3)
(May 2, 2016) E-mail from Ulla Colgrass, Planning Committee, York Quay Neighbourhood Association (LS.Main.LS11.2.4)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60450.pdf)

(May 2, 2016) E-mail from Eleanor Heinz (LS.Main.LS11.2.5)
(May 3, 2016) E-mail from Linda Briskin (LS.Main.LS11.2.6)
(May 3, 2016) E-mail from Prof. Marten van Kerkwijk, Department of Astronomy, University of Toronto (LS.Main.LS11.2.7)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60439.pdf)

(May 4, 2016) E-mail from Peter and Eleanor Heinz (LS.Main.LS11.2.8)
(May 4, 2016) E-mail from Murray Mathers (LS.Main.LS11.2.9)
(May 6, 2016) E-mail from Harold B. Smith (LS.Main.LS11.2.10)
(May 6, 2016) E-mail from Sheila Dunlop, Secretary, South Armour Heights Residents' Association (SAHRA) (LS.Main.LS11.2.11)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60460.pdf)

(May 7, 2016) E-mail from Matthew Gillman (LS.Main.LS11.2.12)
(May 13, 2016) E-mail from S. Mason (LS.New.LS11.2.13)
(May 13, 2016) E-mail from Sandra Bernstein (LS.New.LS11.2.14)
(May 13, 2016) E-mail from Murray Mathers  (LS.New.LS11.2.15)
(May 15, 2016) E-mail from Annette VanLeeuwen (LS.New.LS11.2.16)
(May 15, 2016) E-mail from Annette VanLeeuwen (LS.New.LS11.2.17)
(May 15, 2016) E-mail from Stephen Cooper (LS.New.LS11.2.18)
(May 16, 2016) E-mail from David McMahon, President, The Oriole Park Association (LS.New.LS11.2.19)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60778.pdf)

(May 17, 2016) E-mail from Lynn Robinson, Chair, Toronto Island Noise Committee (LS.New.LS11.2.20)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60784.pdf)

(May 17, 2016) E-mail from Carolyn Johnson (LS.New.LS11.2.21)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Mike Milo (LS.New.LS11.2.22)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Penny Lawler (LS.New.LS11.2.23)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Liz Sauter (LS.New.LS11.2.24)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Dave Fox, General Manager, Islington Golf Club (LS.New.LS11.2.25)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60716.pdf)

(May 19, 2016) E-mail from Mary Partridge (LS.New.LS11.2.26)
(May 18, 2016) Letter from Cathie Macdonald, Co-Chair, Federation of Toronto Residents Associations (LS.New.LS11.2.27)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60792.pdf)

(May 17, 2016) Submission from Ian Carmichael, Toronto Noise Coalition (LS.New.LS11.2.28)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60807.pdf)

(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Barbara Brachi (LS.Main.LS11.2.29)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Sarah Miller (LS.New.LS11.2.30)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Marina Stein (LS.New.LS11.2.31)
(May 18, 2016) Letter from Susan Lipchak (LS.New.LS11.2.32)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Cynthia Wilkey and John Wilson, Co-Chairs, West Don Lands Committee (LS.New.LS11.2.33)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60795.pdf)

(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Peter Newman (LS.New.LS11.2.34)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Alexandrina Canto Thaler (LS.New.LS11.2.35)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Jane Robinson (LS.New.LS11.2.36)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Lianne Miller, Director, ABC Residents Association (LS.New.LS11.2.37)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60818.pdf)

(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Jeffrey Canto-Thaler, Barristers and Solicitors, Jeffrey Canto-Thaler (LS.New.LS11.2.38)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60819.pdf)

(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Anna Prodanou (LS.New.LS11.2.39)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Joanna Kidd (LS.New.LS11.2.40)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Talia Erlich, Green Arts (LS.New.LS11.2.41)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60799.pdf)

(May 18, 2016) E-mail from David Smiley (LS.New.LS11.2.42)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Freya Godard (LS.New.LS11.2.43)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Ms. Helen Klar and Dr. Sara Byer (LS.New.LS11.2.44)
(May 18, 2016) Letter from Geoff Kettel and Carol Burtin Fripp, Co-presidents, Leaside Property Owners Association (LS.New.LS11.2.45)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60823.pdf)

(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Bill Bobey (LS.New.LS11.2.46)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Rachel Rafelman (LS.New.LS11.2.47)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Shanen Carter (LS.New.LS11.2.48)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Sherry Boeckh (LS.New.LS11.2.49)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Kate Shepherd (LS.New.LS11.2.50)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Martha Bennett (LS.New.LS11.2.51)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Lorraine and Neville Kirchmann (LS.New.LS11.2.52)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from James Murphy and Kathrin Bohr (LS.New.LS11.2.53)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from R.A. Willoughby (LS.New.LS11.2.54)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Cristina Panneton (LS.New.LS11.2.55)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Cabbagetown Residents Association Board (LS.New.LS11.2.56)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60842.pdf)

(May 18, 2016) Letter from John Paterson, Partner and General Manager of the Templar Hotel, submitted by Municipal Licensing and Standards (LS.New.LS11.2.57)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60843.pdf)

(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Patti Pokorchak, submitted by Municipal Licensing and Standards (LS.New.LS11.2.58)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Vera Sethna, submitted by Municipal Licensing and Standards and 311 (LS.New.LS11.2.59)
(May 18, 2016) Letter from Alan Baker, Vice-President, GYRA (Greater Yorkville Residents Association) (LS.New.LS11.2.60)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60846.pdf)

(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Diana Rowland (LS.New.LS11.2.61)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Andrea Vechter, Front Street Residents Working Group (LS.New.LS11.2.62)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60833.pdf)

(May 18, 2016) E-mail from David Hamilton (LS.New.LS11.2.63)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Ben Pakuts, Trinity Bellwoods Community Association (TBCA), Media Secretary (LS.New.LS11.2.64)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60835.pdf)

(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Joan M. Boggs (LS.New.LS11.2.65)
(May 18, 2016) Letter from Ann Marie Strapp and Valerie Eggertson on behalf of the Garment District Neighbourhood Association (LS.New.LS11.2.66)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60837.pdf)

(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Ann Marie Strapp (LS.New.LS11.2.67)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Karen Gorsline (LS.New.LS11.2.68)
(May 17, 2016) Letter from Sylvia Schumacher (LS.New.LS11.2.69)
(May 18, 2016) Letter from Richard Lyall, President, RESCON and Danielle Chin, Senior Manager, BILD, submitted by Anthony Fernando (LS.New.LS11.2.70)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60865.pdf)

(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Don Wood (LS.New.LS11.2.71)
(May 18, 2016) Letter from The Wellington Place Neighbourhood Association, submitted by Dieter Riedel (LS.New.LS11.2.72)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60867.pdf)

(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Anita Wood and Don Wood (LS.New.LS11.2.73)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Betty Speakman (LS.New.LS11.2.74)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Karen Walsh (LS.New.LS11.2.75)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Sheila Hockin (LS.New.LS11.2.76)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Roger G. Abbott, President, The Phoenix Group Inc (LS.New.LS11.2.77)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60872.pdf)

(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Meghan and Robert MacLean (LS.New.LS11.2.78)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Linda Barnett (LS.New.LS11.2.79)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Katie Dilworth (LS.New.LS11.2.80)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Barbara Murchie (LS.New.LS11.2.81)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Tracy Warne (LS.New.LS11.2.82)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Karen Morch (LS.New.LS11.2.83)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Martin Mittelstaedt (LS.New.LS11.2.84)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Liz Sauter (LS.New.LS11.2.85)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Mark Reuter (LS.New.LS11.2.86)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Patrizia Varrasso (LS.New.LS11.2.87)
(May 18, 2016) Letter from Deborah Briggs, President, Summerhill Residents' Association, submitted by John Bossons (LS.New.LS11.2.88)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60849.pdf)

(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Susan Roy (LS.New.LS11.2.89)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Scott and Maria Zufelt (LS.New.LS11.2.90)
(May 18, 2016) E-mail from Barry Lipton (LS.New.LS11.2.91)
(May 19, 2016) Letter from Suzanne Kavanagh, President, St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Association (SLNA) (LS.New.LS11.2.92)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60853.pdf)

(May 19, 2016) E-mail from Paul Elia (LS.New.LS11.2.93)
(May 19, 2016) E-mail from Paul Scrivener, Director of External Relations, The Toronto Industry Network (LS.New.LS11.2.94)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60855.pdf)

(May 19, 2016) Letter from Stephanie Cybruch (LS.New.LS11.2.95)
(May 19, 2016) E-mail from Monty McDonald, Environment Chair, Bayview Village Association (LS.New.LS11.2.96)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60857.pdf)

(May 18, 2016) Letter from Eileen Denny, Chair, Confederation of Resident and Ratepayer Associations in Toronto (LS.New.LS11.2.97)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60858.pdf)

(May 19, 2016) E-mail from David Pellettier (LS.New.LS11.2.98)
(May 19, 2016) E-mail from Patrizia Varrasso, submitted by Municipal Licensing and Standards (LS.New.LS11.2.99)
(May 19, 2016) E-mail from Norman and Kate Raschkowan (LS.New.LS11.2.100)
(May 19, 2016) E-mail from Gina and Jim Londos (LS.New.LS11.2.101)
(May 19, 2016) E-mail from Anne Bourne (LS.New.LS11.2.102)

2a Review of Proposed Noise By-law
Origin
(April 19, 2016) Letter from the Toronto Music Industry Advisory Council
Summary

The Toronto Music Industry Advisory Council, on April 19, 2016, considered Item MA4.4 regarding the Review of Proposed Noise By-law.

Background Information
(April 19, 2016) Letter from the Toronto Music Industry Advisory Council on Review of Proposed Noise By-law
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/bgrd/backgroundfile-92892.pdf)


LS11.3 

ACTION 

Amended 

 

Ward: All 

Multi-Residential Apartment Buildings (MRAB) Audit and Enforcement Program - 2015 Annual Report
Committee Recommendations

The Licensing and Standards Committee recommends that:

 

1.  City Council delegate to the Executive Director, Municipal Licensing and Standards the authority to waive witness fees for Landlord and Tenant Board proceedings when Municipal Standards Officers are summoned to attend by a tenant.

 

2.  City Council request the Executive Director, Municipal Licensing and Standards to:

 

a.  Develop policies, procedures and service standards for initiating remedial action and prosecutions for non-compliant landlords; and

 

b.  Develop a system that identifies, classifies, and weights property standard violations to facilitate the future development of a building quality rating system for multi-residential buildings.


3. City Council direct the Executive Director, Municipal Licensing and Standards, to apply the normal enforcement process for violations of a municipal by-law, including the timely escalation of enforcement to include Notice of Violation or Orders to Comply if compliance is not achieved, for alleged contraventions of Chapter 629-19 (stairway railing safety) discovered as part of Multi-Residential Apartment Building (MRAB) audits.

Decision Advice and Other Information
The Director of Investigation Services, Municipal Licensing and Standards made a presentation to the Committee.
Origin
(May 3, 2016) Report from the Executive Director, Municipal Licensing and Standards
Summary

This report provides the annual update on the Multi-Residential Apartment Buildings (MRAB) Audit and Enforcement Program. The goal of the program is to ensure that minimum property and maintenance standards within multi-residential rental properties are maintained in accordance with the City's property standards by-laws and other applicable regulations. The goal contributes to ML&S's overarching vision that every person deserves a safe, secure and decent place to live. Since 2008, the program has audited 1,046 rental apartment buildings in Toronto.

 

This report describes operational enhancements undertaken in 2015 to improve efficiency and increase the impact of the MRAB program on the quality of rental housing in Toronto. The enhancements focussed on resolution and escalated enforcement, increased landlord engagement, new collaborations with stakeholders and a city-wide tenant education campaign. In response to requests from tenant organizations, this report proposes that City Council delegate to the Executive Director, Municipal Licensing and Standards the authority to waive witness fees for Landlord and Tenant Board proceedings when Municipal Standards Officers are summoned to attend by a tenant.

 

This report also provides 2015 year-end data related to program activities. In 2015, MRAB staff conducted 193 pre-audit assessments and 84 audits of multi-residential apartment buildings. Staff also conducted 1,917 re-inspections, closing 575 orders and rectifying 6,607 deficiencies. In response to wilfully non-compliant building owners, staff conducted six remedial actions that resulted in $111, 331.94 being added to the owners' property taxes. As a result of these activities, the rate of compliance with orders in private and TCH-owned buildings has increased from 82% to 89% since the last annual report.

Background Information
(May 3, 2016) Report from the Executive Director, Municipal Licensing and Standards, on Multi-Residential Apartment Buildings (MRAB) Audit and Enforcement Program - 2015 Annual Report
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/bgrd/backgroundfile-92837.pdf)

Attachment 1 - Map of MRAB Audit Locations, 2008-2015 and Map of MRAB Pre-audit Assessment Locations, 2015
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/bgrd/backgroundfile-92885.pdf)

Attachment 2 - Annual Statistics and Analysis for MRAB Activities, 2008-2015
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/bgrd/backgroundfile-92886.pdf)

Attachment 3 - MRAB Case Studies, 2015
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/bgrd/backgroundfile-92887.pdf)

Attachment 4 - Risk-based Assessment Tool for Audit Selection
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/bgrd/backgroundfile-92879.pdf)

Presentation from the Director of Investigation Services, Municipal Licensing and Standards on MRAB - 2015 Annual Report - Improving the quality of rental housing in Toronto
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/bgrd/backgroundfile-93208.pdf)

Communications
(January 14, 2016) Letter from Geoff MacBride, President, Toronto Paramedic Association (LS.New.LS11.3.1)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60794.pdf)

(May 18, 2016) Letter from Frank Ramagnano, President, Toronto Professional Firefighter's Association, submitted by Damien Walsh (LS.New.LS11.3.2)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60840.pdf)

(May 19, 2016) Letter from Kenn Hale, Director, Legal Services, Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO) (LS.New.LS11.3.3)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60861.pdf)

(May 19, 2016) Submission from Jonathan Krehm, Principal, O'Shanter Development Company Ltd. (LS.New.LS11.3.4)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60904.pdf)

Speakers

Kenn Hale, Director, Legal Services, Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO)
Daryl Chong, President and CEO, Greater Toronto Apartment Association
Randall and Christine Chaiet
Harold Myshrall
Helen Chilas, President and Chair, 1501 Woodbine Tenants Association


3a Multi-Residential Apartment Buildings (MRAB) Audit and Enforcement Program - 2015 Annual Report
Origin
(May 17, 2016) Letter from the Tenant Issues Committee
Summary

The Tenant Issues Committee, on May 17, 2016, considered Item TD3.2 regarding the Multi-Residential Apartment Buildings (MRAB) Audit and Enforcement Program - 2015 Annual Report.

Background Information
(May 17, 2016) Letter from the Tenant Issues Committee on Multi-Residential Apartment Buildings (MRAB) Audit and Enforcement Program - 2015 Annual Report
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/bgrd/backgroundfile-93144.pdf)


LS11.4 

ACTION 

Amended 

 

Ward: All 

Proposed Framework for Multi-Residential Rental Property Licence
Committee Recommendations

The Licensing and Standards Committee recommends that:

 

1. City Council direct the Executive Director, Municipal Licensing and Standards to conduct public consultation on the proposed framework for a multi-residential rental property licence, such consultation to seek input on a variety of staffing and service levels; and report back in the fall of 2016 on:

 

                  a.  the consultation findings,

                  b.  a draft by-law,

                  c.  associated fee,

                  d.  budget and staffing model,

                  e.  proposed administrative monetary penalties,

                  f.  final proposed licensing fees,

                  g.  public education, communication and tenant engagement plan,

                  h.  technology requirements,

                  i.  implementation schedule, and

                  j.  fee reductions for demonstrated compliance with property standards by-laws.

Origin
(May 3, 2016) Report from the Executive Director, Municipal Licensing and Standards
Summary

This report outlines a proposed framework for licensing multi-residential rental properties as a regulatory tool for contributing to safe and adequate rental housing in Toronto. The framework was drafted in response to direction from Licensing and Standards Committee. The report summarizes the results of a jurisdictional scan, as well as preliminary stakeholder consultations with tenant organizations, landlord groups, Toronto Community Housing and staff from relevant City divisions.

 

The licensing framework proposed in this report will be the subject of further public consultations to assess its impact on tenants, landlords and other stakeholders. The framework incorporates existing enforcement activities related to multi-residential properties such as building audits as well as in-suite inspections. It also creates additional requirements to improve the sustainability of minimum property standards in rental properties such as annual inspections and maintenance plans. The estimated costs of administering and enforcing the proposed licence are outlined in this report, including an estimated licensing fee of $12 to $15 per unit based on cost recovery. However, further analysis is required.

 

This report also responds to other opportunities and challenges raised during the stakeholder consultations and Committee meetings related to the licensing framework and strengthening the City's response to non-compliant landlords.

 

Legal Services and Shelter, Support and Housing Administration were consulted in the preparation of this report.

Background Information
(May 3, 2016) Report from the Executive Director, Municipal Licensing and Standards, on Proposed Framework for Multi-Residential Rental Property Licence
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/bgrd/backgroundfile-92900.pdf)

Attachment 1 - Jurisdictional Scan
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/bgrd/backgroundfile-92891.pdf)

Communications
(May 19, 2016) Letter from Kenn Hale, Director, Legal Services, Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO) (LS.New.LS11.4.1)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/comm/communicationfile-60862.pdf)

(May 19, 2016) Submission from Ted Whitehead (on file in the City Clerk's Office) (LS.New.LS11.4.2)
Speakers

Yale Fox
Kenn Hale, Director of Legal Services, Advocacy Centre for Tenants Services (ACTO)
Geordie Dent, Executive Director and John Plumadore, Chair, Federation of Metro Tenants Association (FMTA)
Daryl Chong, President and CEO, Greater Toronto Apartment Association
Ted Whitehead, Director of Certification, Federation of Rental-Housing Providers of Ontario (FRPO)
Jonathan Krehm, Principal, O’Shanter Development Company Ltd
Peter Duff, Director, Technical Services, Centurion Property Associates
Gloria  Salomon, CEO, Preston Group
Laura Holland, Chief Operating Officer, Timbercreek Communities
Steve Weinrieb, Director of Special Projects, Park Property Management
Justin Taylor, Chief Operating Officer, GREENROCK Real Estate Advisors
Trish MacPherson, Executive Vice President, Operations, CAPREIT
Scott Andison, President and CEO, Federation of Rental-Housing Providers of Ontario (FRPO)
Natalie Hundt, Toronto ACORN
Harold Myshrall
Helen Chilas, President and Chair, 1501 Woodbine Tenants Association


4a Proposed Framework for Multi-Residential Rental Property Licence
Origin
(May 17, 2016) Letter from the Tenant Issues Committee
Summary

The Tenant Issues Committee, on May 17, 2016, considered Item TD3.3 regarding the Proposed Framework for Multi-Residential Rental Property Licence.

Background Information
(May 17, 2016) Letter from the Tenant Issues Committee on Proposed Framework for Multi-Residential Rental Property Licence
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/bgrd/backgroundfile-93145.pdf)


LS11.5 

ACTION 

Adopted 

 

Ward: All 

Graffiti Management Plan - StreetARToronto (StART) Partnership Programs 2016 Grant Allocation Recommendations
Committee Recommendations

The Licensing and Standards Committee recommends that:

 

1.  City Council approve the list of grant applications for the 2016 StART Partnership program as outlined in Appendix A, attached to the report (May 2, 2016) from the General Manager, Transportation Services.

Origin
(May 2, 2016) Report from the General Manager, Transportation Services
Summary

StreetARToronto (StART) is a partnership program launched in 2012 as a central feature of the City's Graffiti Management Plan.  It is a proactive approach to both eliminating graffiti vandalism and supporting street art that adds character and visual interest to city streets.  Initiated as part of the Community Partnership and Investment Program (CPIP), StART is administered by the Transportation Services, Public Realm Section, which is also responsible for coordinating and implementing all non-enforcement related components of the Graffiti Management Plan.

 

StART engages and links residents, community groups, artists and arts organizations with each other as well as with City staff and Councillors.  To expand the geographical reach of street art projects across the city, Public Realm staff conducted a broad outreach program including Information Session in all four districts. At the Information Sessions, and in response to enquiries, StART staff encouraged potential applicants to develop projects for locations in wards where StART Partnership Program murals have not yet been installed.  These priorities were also shown on the City's website.

 

This report recommends funding for 17 mural projects to be delivered by community-based organizations under the 2016 StART Partnership Program including installations in two wards which currently do not have a StART Partnership mural. Staff met with all Councillors representing wards without a mural and we are confident that the target for mural installations in all 44 wards will be met by 2017 either by the StART Partnership program or other StART initiatives.

Background Information
(May 2, 2016) Report and Appendices A-C from the General Manager, Transportation Services on Graffiti Management Plan - StreetARToronto (StART) Partnership Programs 2016 Grant Allocation Recommendations
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/bgrd/backgroundfile-92759.pdf)


LS11.6 

ACTION 

Deferred 

 

Ward: All 

Tools Available to Municipal Licensing and Standards for Enforcement
Committee Decision

The Licensing and Standards Committee deferred the item until September 21, 2016, with the request that  the Executive Director of Municipal Licensing and Standards report at that time on the full inventory of enforcement tools available to the Division for enforcement purposes, including information on the following:

 

a.  the circumstances under which a warrant would be sought by MLS for an investigation;

 

b.  the circumstances under which MLS would exercise the authority for an emergency licence suspension; and

 

c.  the number of times the aforementioned enforcement tools have been used by MLS over the past 10 years."

 

Origin
(April 25, 2016) Letter from Councillor Frances Nunziata
Summary

In recent weeks I learned that Municipal Licensing and Standards Officers (MSOs) have the ability to obtain warrants to inspect properties at which the property owner has refused entry; however, while available, this tool is not typically used.

 

Similarly, I have historically been told that Municipal Licensing and Standards (MLS) does not have the authority to close down problem establishments; yet in recent weeks, we saw the Executive Director exercise authority granted under section 86(2) of the City of Toronto Act, 2006 to immediately suspend the licence of Cloud 9 Café at 1530 Danforth Avenue for 14 days, and to bring the Licensee before the Toronto Licensing Tribunal. I was pleased to learn of and see this authority exercised, but was perplexed as to why it has not been exercised in the past for locations that were similarly problematic in Ward 11 and across the City.

Background Information
(April 25, 2016) Letter from Councillor Frances Nunziata on Tools Available to Municipal Licensing and Standards for Enforcement
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/bgrd/backgroundfile-92634.pdf)

Communications
(May 12, 2016) E-mail from Carolyn Johnson (LS.New.LS11.6.1)

LS11.7 

ACTION 

Deferred 

 

Ward: All 

Marijuana Dispensaries
Committee Decision

The Licensing and Standards Committee deferred consideration of the item until June 27, 2016 and requested the Executive Director, Municipal Licensing and Standards, in consultation with the Medical Officer of Health and the Chief of the Toronto Police Service, to report at that time on a regulatory framework for marijuana dispensaries, such report to include:

 

1.  A review of the current operations of marijuana dispensaries in the City of Toronto.

 

2.  A review of regulations in other jurisdictions including Vancouver, which have introduced measures to address concerns regarding marijuana dispensaries.

 

3.  Recommendations to address concerns, including the feasibility of licensing marijuana dispensaries and other regulatory mechanisms to regulate the proximity of these establishments to schools and other educational facilities, childcare and other sensitive uses.

Origin
(May 19, 2016) Letter from Mayor Tory
Summary

Over the past few months, residents and businesses in different parts of Toronto have raised concerns about the rising number of marijuana dispensaries opening in their neighbourhoods. The speed with which these storefronts are proliferating, and the concentration of dispensaries in some areas of our city, is alarming.

 

We respect the federal government's decision to legalize possession of marijuana for non-medical purposes. Going forward, the city has a responsibility to ensure this emerging industry operates responsibly, without a negative impact on the health and safety of our residents and neighbourhoods.

 

Left unaddressed, the number of these dispensaries will only increase. This proliferation brings with it potential health risks for individuals who patronize dispensaries where the substance for sale is completely unregulated. It also affects surrounding businesses and communities, who have valid concerns that must be addressed – in particular, concerns about access by minors.

 

I request the Committee direct a review of the current operations of marijuana dispensaries in the City of Toronto, and ask staff to recommend steps to address concerns, including the feasibility of licensing marijuana dispensaries and other regulatory mechanisms to regulate the proximity of these establishments to schools, childcare and other sensitive uses. I would also ask that you request a review of regulations in other jurisdictions, including Vancouver, which have introduced measures such as licensing fees for dispensaries and regulations controlling their proximity to schools, community centres and other dispensaries.

Background Information
(May 19, 2016) Letter from Mayor Tory on Marijuana Dispensaries
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ls/bgrd/backgroundfile-93110.pdf)


Meeting Sessions
Session Date Session Type Start Time End Time Public or Closed Session
2016-05-19 Morning 9:44 AM 9:57 AM Public
2016-05-19 Morning 10:11 AM 12:35 PM Public
2016-05-19 Afternoon 1:44 PM 4:50 PM Public
Attendance
Members were present for some or all of the time period indicated.
Date and Time Quorum Members
2016-05-19
09:44 AM - 09:57 AM
(Public Session)
Present Present: Glenn De Baeremaeker, Frank Di Giorgio, Jim Karygiannis, Josh Matlow, Cesar Palacio (Chair)
Not Present: Giorgio Mammoliti
Also present (non-members): Joe Cressy, Frances Nunziata, Kristin Wong-Tam
2016-05-19
10:11 AM - 12:35 PM
(Public Session)
Present Present: Glenn De Baeremaeker, Frank Di Giorgio, Jim Karygiannis, Josh Matlow, Cesar Palacio (Chair)
Not Present: Giorgio Mammoliti
Also present (non-members): Joe Cressy, Janet Davis, Frances Nunziata, Gord Perks, Kristin Wong-Tam
2016-05-19
01:44 PM - 04:50 PM
(Public Session)
Present Present: Glenn De Baeremaeker, Frank Di Giorgio, Jim Karygiannis, Josh Matlow, Cesar Palacio (Chair)
Not Present: Giorgio Mammoliti
Also present (non-members): Janet Davis, Mary Fragedakis, Frances Nunziata, Gord Perks